Remove this ad

THE MCMARTIN TRIAL - ALLEGED SEXUAL CRIMES PERPETRATED AGAINST CHILDREN

Rss     Subscribe     Share     Tweet    

0 Points

Lead

Jun 6 11 2:58 PM

Tags : :

The McMartin Preschool, owned by 79 year-old Virginia McMartin and her daughter Peggy McMartin Buckey was the administrator. The preschool was so revered and the McMartin family itself was honored with an award. Nobody was expecting what would happen to this and other daycares, brought on by one woman's belief that her 2 1/2 year old son, Ray Buckey (son of Peggy McMartin Buckey & grandson of Virginia McMartin. Parents were told to confront their children to determine whether or not sexual abuse of any kind had happened while under the care of the McMartin family. Soon, the foundation known as CII (Children's Institute International), had hundreds of children coming forward with accusations of not only sexual abuse, but also with satanic rituals, and slaughtered animals.

The trial itself lasted for five years or so, and prior to that Ray Buckey and his mother Peggy McMartin Buckey were held in jail without bail. By the end of this high-profile case which lasted for seven years, the trial itself cost taxpayers $16 million - and not a single conviction. It was discovered that CII may have been putting ideas or "false memories" into the children for whom no abuse had occurred. There is still some disagreement between the outcome of the trial and what parents claim was horrific abuse suffered at the hand of the McMartin Preschool.

http://youtu.be/kG1ts30uayQ

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

#2 [url]

Jun 9 11 8:40 PM

Virginia McMartin died in Dec. 1985

Crime Library documents the case.

Rick Ross Institute -  Peggy McMartin Buckey dies

Court: Peggy McMartin Buckey and her son were acquitted in the sensational Manhattan Beach case.    "I've gone through hell and now we've lost everything," she said in 1990 after she and her son, Ray Buckey, were acquitted of child molestation charges in a case that had opened the door on one of society's deepest taboos."  

Quote    Reply   

#3 [url]

Jun 10 11 9:24 AM

I have heard the case referred to as a "witch hunt", and I think that is a good way to describe what happened. I think this was a clear-cut case of planting false memories in the minds of the children. When the were interviewed at Children's Institute International, they were praise for giving answers regarding the molestation - as long as the answers confirmed that child abuse had occurred. There was no evidence to corroborate the stories of molestation, etc. After reading about the case in detail as well as seeing the movie pertaining to the subject, I remain unconvinced that child abuse actually took place at the McMartin Preschool.The movie based on this story is excellent, if you ever get a chance to watch it. Shirley Knight won an Emmy and a Golden Globe Award for her incredible portrayal of Peggy McMartin Buckey in this movie. The movie is called "Indictment: The McMartin Trial.

http://www.amazon.com/Indictment-McMartin-Trial-James-Woods/dp/B00007G1VS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1307722951&sr=8-1

malevolentgrrl1974

Quote    Reply   

#4 [url]

Jun 10 11 7:03 PM

Cases like these are really difficult. On one hand we want to react swiftly and with force in order to protect children but on the other hand allegations of child-molestation puts an almost irreversible stigma on the accused - whose life can be ruined even if he or she is later acquitted, And due to the hidden nature of the crime there's often no evidence except for the testimony of the victim, which basically makes it a "word against word" decision. If there is no evidence its all down to credibility of the two parties and that's a very thin basis for the courts to rule in a cases that carry such severe punishment.  A child can be influenced, coerced or simply remember wrong and an abuser can look both distinguished and credible.

There is bound to be a high error-rate in these cases, and I have no idea how it could be improved... 

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#5 [url]

Jun 12 11 5:48 AM

I didn't realize there had been a movie made concerning the case. I did do a bit of reading
after seeing your post and came to the same conclusion.

Jowls, what you say is very true, trying to balance the rights of the child and the rights
of the accused is hard in light of these types of allegations. As we've seen in this case
and in divorce cases, children are the pawns caught in between, and are used to further
adult agendas.

Lives can, and are ruined merely by an accusation, even one without proof.

Quote    Reply   

#6 [url]

Jun 17 11 1:11 PM

Know that the movie was made by Abby Mann and told from the perspective of the accused. Each was paid-I heard $75,000 for their "story." No movie was ever made form the perspective of the children! Sexual molestation DID happen at that school. You have to do a lot of research to find the truth because it is too easy to perpetuate this crap put out by the False Memory Foundation staff.

Quote    Reply   

#7 [url]

Jun 18 11 10:51 AM

Know that the movie was made by Abby Mann and told from the perspective of the accused. Each was paid-I heard $75,000 for their "story." No movie was ever made form the perspective of the children!Sexual molestation DID happen at that school. You have to do a lot of research to find the truth because it is too easy to perpetuate this crap put out by the False Memory Foundation staff.

-guest_guest

I think, guest-guest, that unless you were actually there at the preschool, your findings are no less speculation than mine or anyone else. However, if you could send some links my way that support the "truth", I would be happy to read them.

malevolentgrrl1974

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help