Remove this ad

PATRICIA, VICTORIA & JONATHAN ALLEN - ANTHONY JOHN (ANGEL) ALLEN - CONVICTED TRIPLE MURDERER

Rss     Subscribe     Share     Tweet    

0 Points

Lead

Sep 16 09 6:46 PM

Tags : :

Anthony John ANGEL aka Anthony John ALLEN

CONVICTIONS: 
                              Bigamy
                              Deception
                              Fraud
                             Criminal Damage

Theft 
                        TRIPLE MURDER

1934 - June - Torbay, Devon - Anthony John Angel is born.

1950s - Anthony John Angel marries Monica.

1966 - THEFT - Anthony Angel steals from wage packets (payroll) where he works and is caught.

FAKING A SUICIDE
       In order to avoid the consequences of his actions, Anthony Angel drives to Beachy Head,     

He leaves a note and his clothing on the shore. Angel swims along the coast to an area
       where he's hidden clothing. 

AN ALIAS
       Anthony John Angel begins calling himself Anthony John Allen & moves to Northern England.

(Later on, by deed poll, Anthony Angel changes his name legally to Anthony Allen.)

BIGAMY

1967 - Anthony Allen meets Patricia (Blacker) Walker and marries her in a bigamous marriage.

LARCENY

1968 - Anthony Allen is charged and sentenced to 2 years, suspended for 3 years, after admitting
          larceny and asking for 116 other offences to be considered. 

1972 - Anthony Allen (allegedly) marries Patricia Black in a legal ceremony.

THEFT

Anthony Allen is charged & convicted for stealing mail and burning it during a postal strike.  
         Allen is jailed for 3 years.

Patricia (Black) Allen's former boyfriend, a former U.S. serviceman, John Simone, suffers a stroke in the U.S.
                                                    THEFT

1973 -  Anthony Allen is imprisoned for 13 months over charges having to do with a mail delivery
           business. 

A CHANCE ENCOUNTER

1974 - Manchester - Anthony Allen has a chance encounter with an old friend who knows him as
             Anthony Angel, and knows his first wife and family. Allen is reported to the authorities.

BIGAMY CONVICTION
                                                       THEFT
                                              FALSE PRETENCES

Anthony John Angel Allen is convicted of bigamy, theft and obtaining money
             by false pretences. His wife Patricia makes a tearful plea and the Judge sentences 
             Allen to a suspended sentence.                     

CRIMINAL DAMAGE

Anthony Allen is charged and convicted of setting fire to 3 bags of mail 
               he is supposed to deliver. Allen is sentenced to 3 years. He serves 1 year.

1975 - Salcombe - Anthony Allen moves his family to Salcombe. Allen is employed as a manager
                            of a restaurant. The family reside in a flat in Powderham Villa (a large victorian 
                             house made into apartments)

Patricia (Black) Allen's former boyfriend in the U.S. (former U.S. servicman) John Simone becomes incapacitated due to health issues.

Anthony Allen begins an affair with a widow. Mrs. Eunice Chapman Yabley
                  manages"The Galley"  (trendy restaurant).

1975 - 26 May - Salcombe, South Devon - After attending a local fete with his family,
                   Anthony Allen seems to have more on his mind than a mere affair.
                   He asks Mrs. Yabley a question. "Would she be prepared to look after his
                   children if his separates from his wife?"
                   Mrs. Eunice Champman Yabley refuses.

DISAPPEARANCE 

1975 - 27 May - That afternoon, there is a witness who sees Allen's family car parked near another
                        village in the area with his children standing in the back and his wife in a
                        distressed state in the front passenger seat being attended by Anthony Allen. It is
                        the last known sighting of Patricia Allen.

Patricia Allen (39) disappears.
    She is never heard from again by friends or family. Anthony Allen does not report her missing.

27 May - Allen visits Mrs. Eunice Chapman Yabley. With him are his two children, Jonathan
                       and Victoria.

Mrs. Yabley "He said flatly,"Pat's gone'. The hand that took the cigarette back to
                 his mouth was shaking, but he was otherwise perfectly in control. As his cuff slipped
                 back, I saw that there were deep scratches running down his forearm. I asked him

what happened? "He said, 'We had a row first thing this morning. She's packed and  
                 gone to  meet her boyfriend. She's taken her car."

Later I asked him "How did you get those scratches on your arm?" He told me "I told
                  her I wanted to finish it. She flew at me. I put my arms up to protect my face."

Anthony Allen arranges for someone else to take over his evening shift. Mrs. Yabley
                  goes to work but later in the evening goes to Allen's flat. Mrs. Yabley sees Allen and
                  5 year old Victoria, who has an earache. Victoria is put back to bed.

Allen then asks if he may borrow Mrs. Yabley's vehicle so he can pick up his mother
                  from the train station.

1975 -  28 May - Anthony Allen's mother, Mrs. Angel, arrives by car the next morning and leaves in
                        the evening. 

Jonathan and Victoria are seen a few times during the day. At one sighting of them, they are with Anthony Allen some distance away from their flat.

On this date, Mrs. Yabley does not see Anthony Allen or have a visit from him.

DISAPPEARANCE

1975 - 29 May - Jonathan Allen (7), & Victoria Allen (5) disappear. They are never heard from
                        again.

Anthony John Allen does not report them missing.

Allen tells Mrs. Yabley Patricia had returned in the middle of the night & had gone with the children, perhaps to go and live with a former boyfriend (John Simone) in North America. 

Patricia and the children's clothes, toys and other belongings remain in the flat. Patricia Allen's bank account of £28 lies dormant. 

July -  Anthony Allen moves in with Mrs Yabley. He offers Mrs. Yabley his wife Patricia's
            jewelry.

Mrs. Eunice Chapman Yabley "He certainly knows how to charm a woman. His manners
            were always perfect, just the sort of man a woman could dream about."

August - An officer begins hearing rumors. Allen has given away Patricia and the children's
                  belongings. He's also given away the family dog.

Anthony Allen is questioned about his wife's and children's whereabouts.

Allen tells police during an interview: "I'd had been imprisoned for 13 months in 1973
             over a mail delivery business and my wife "did not want me from the time I came out." 

"Patricia and I had an argument after going to a carnival with the children and that day
               or the next, I found her packing her bags and leaving in her Volkswagen car. She
               reappeared the next day, saying she could not live without the children, and that she
               was considering emigrating. 

The children were then woken up, clothes and toys were packed, and they were told
               they were going on a "little holiday. I signed a piece of paper, written by Patricia,
               agreeing to hand the children into her custody and she could take them anywhere she
               liked.  I never saw or heard from them again after she drove off in her Volkswagen
               car. She had said she would leave it at Totnes railway staion, but it was not there
               when I went later to pick it up, and I was told four or  five weeks later it was in a
               Salcombe car park."

APPEALS & DISCOVERY

Police find that Patricia Allen and her children do not own passports and have never applied
  for passports. Their names are not on any social security or medical records. The children
  are not enrolled in school. They are not located in any U.S. databases.

Massive publicity is engendered to no avail. Neither Patricia nor the children come forward, nor has
anyone spotted them.

The car is later found in the family car in a car park in Salcombe, not in the train station car
    park. It is unlocked and has two dinghy oars sticking out from a window.  

1975 - October - Anthony Allen makes another statement to police. "

"When I moved to Salcombe earlier that year as restaurant manager of the Marine
             Hotel, my marriage was "under strain." We were trying to make a new start, but
             were "drifting apart."

Allen claims that his mother had stayed overnight and that at some stage he and Mrs. Yabley 
had gone out in his boat in search of his dog.  

Allen had previously stated that the children were with his mother. During this police interview he admits that they were not with his mother and never had been. He repeats his claim that Patricia had taken the children. 

However, with other investigators, Allen gives various versions of the event, including that his wife had left the U.K. with a boyfriend from the US forces (John Simone) and gone to New Hampshire.
*This was impossible due to John Simone's incapacitation.

1976 - Only after police have begun enquiring into his family's disappearance does Allen make any 
          inquiries as to their whereabouts.

ARREST
                              Anthony Allen is arrested

1977 -  A Police Inquiry is held. The Director of Public Prosecutions rules there is insufficient
          evidence for a prosecution. Anthony Allen is set free.

RELOCATION
1982 -  Anthony Allen and Mrs. Eunice Chapman Yabley move to London.

1987 -  Mrs. Eunice Chapman Yabley and Anthony Allen end their relationship.

1990 - May -  Anthony Allen is charged, convicted and sentenced to 3 years for swindling 
                    £165,000 from house buyers.

A LOVER'S TALE

1992 - Mrs. Eunice Chapman Yabley pens a book "Presumed Dead (published 1992).
          The book tells of her relationship with Anthony Allen and the disappearance of his wife
          and children. Her book contains a reference to the scratch marks she had seen upon 
          Anthony Allen. 

CASE RE-OPENED
2000 - Police again reinvestigate the case of the missing Patricia Allen and her children Jonathan
          and Victoria.

2000 -May - Anthony Allen is charged and convicted of 13 offences of theft from his employer and
                 one of deception.

2001 -  Anthony Allen moves in with his girlfriend. She's a Council Officer in Poole.

ARREST

2001 - October - Anthony Allen is again arrested.

TRIAL

EXETER CROWN COURT -  TESTIMONY

Neighbours living in the flats below the Allens testified to hearing a child screaming "Daddy, daddy, you are hurting mummy", at the time Patricia Allen disappeared.

Witness testifies to "seeing Mrs. Allen "in distress" in their car with Allen and the children.

Margaret Scott testifies: "She remembered Mrs Allen having a relationship with an American airman, John Simone, and that she had gone to the United States with him with the idea of them setting up home together. But when she got there she had found out that he was married and the relationship had ended in failure. Mrs Scott said she understood that Mrs Allen had had her passport confiscated and she was forced to leave the country and leave some of her clothing behind."

Ross McCoysh (Special investigator Passport office) testifies that searches in the name of Patricia Allen showed that in 1975 Patricia Allen did not have a passport and had not applied for one.  Searches under the names of Blacker, Walker (Patricia's first married name), Angel and Simone and for the children, Victoria and Jonathan, also showed no results. 

Kenneth Hassell (a former employee of the Marine Hotel (waiter) testifies "he'd gotten to
know John Allen quite well and he remembered an occasion when Allen turned up at the hotel looking less than his usual confident self. Allen looked dishevelled and he had scratches on his neck and the bottom of his chin. There were three marks there and he also had a bandage on his left wrist.  Allen told him that he had had an accident in the garden. At the time of the disappearances there was a lot of gossip in the hotel about how Allen might have murdered his wife and children."

Mark Evans, QC, Prosecution "The clear motive is that he was involved with Mrs.Yabley and he might have perceived her successful business as a route to a new life. Patricia was clearly an obstacle and as it turned out the children also became an obstacle."

Mr. Justice Steel "Only you know what truly happened in May over 25 years ago. There is no possible explanation for their disappearance other than you murdered them."

SENTENCING

2002- 16 December - EXETER CROWN COURT - Anthony John Allen is sentenced. He is 72 years old. 

Mr. Justice Steel "The motive for the killing of his wife appears to have been simply the desire to move on to a new life with a woman running a promising business.  He had disposed of his previous family in the opposite manner - by faking his own suicide. 

The (subsequent) killing of his two young children may have been promoted by the same callous
motive: it is also possible that they presented a threat to him having seen or heard matters
relating to the death and disposal of his wife. 

The Defendant is now 72 and in poor health.  Nonetheless the only factor that might have resulted 
in a reduction of the tariff would have been disclosure of the whereabouts of the bodies.

In my judgment, the appropriate tariff period is 18 years (less the time spent in custody on remand of 10 months 9 days).  

Mrs. Eunice Chapman Yabley "I think he is a psychopath. That is an unqualified opinion but I think he is."

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

#1 [url]

Feb 23 11 9:35 AM

Dear all, my name is mike potter, I was the barman at the GALLEY seafood restaurant and mentioned in PRESUMED DEAD as advising eunice not to go away with john for a short break when the atmosphere  was heating up. I played chess with john while serving the customers. I allways beat him , I allways put people that I play in categories,  his was a schoolboy class, he would attack you down 1 flank and stare intently  at the other flank. otherwise, take you for a complete idiot . you can learn a lot abut a persons mind power by playing them at chess. I am not a starplayer, just better than him. I went for a few drinks with TONY, eunices brother, I ended at the GALLEY a little worst for wear . JOHN saw the state that I was in and immediately got the  chess set out. JOHN was wiping the board with me, I could see 2 boards, I hate losing to an inferior player, so I took myself off upstairs to the 'mens room' and kept emmersing my head in water until I could only see 1 person in the  mirror. but I realised that I had to be quick because the heat of the restaurant would soon get to me. JOHN had been all around the customers bragging that he had got me at last. I only had 3 pieces,  he had most of his, it was my move.I moved my KING carefully, he closed in for the kill . STALEMATE a daw. I thought it was very funny  so did tony, and the customers. but not JOHN , he was furiose , EUNICE had to take JOHN upstairs he was so angry. that is why I advised her not to go away with him. 
yours faithfully,
MIKE POTER

Quote    Reply   

#2 [url]

Feb 23 11 5:47 PM

Thank you MIke for sharing your experiences with John Allen. Eunice was fortunate that
she didn't go off with him. Since it's clear he is capable of killing those close to him,
she could have become a victim once he tired of her, or got everything he wanted from
her.

Quote    Reply   

#3 [url]

Mar 6 11 11:04 AM

Dear all, my name is mike potter, I was the barman at the GALLEY seafood restaurant and mentioned in PRESUMED DEAD as advising eunice not to go away with john for a short break when the atmosphere  was heating up. I played chess with john while serving the customers. I allways beat him , I allways put people that I play in categories,  his was a schoolboy class, he would attack you down 1 flank and stare intently  at the other flank. otherwise, take you for a complete idiot . you can learn a lot abut a persons mind power by playing them at chess. I am not a starplayer, just better than him. I went for a few drinks with TONY, eunices brother, I ended at the GALLEY a little worst for wear . JOHN saw the state that I was in and immediately got the  chess set out. JOHN was wiping the board with me, I could see 2 boards, I hate losing to an inferior player, so I took myself off upstairs to the 'mens room' and kept emmersing my head in water until I could only see 1 person in the  mirror. but I realised that I had to be quick because the heat of the restaurant would soon get to me. JOHN had been all around the customers bragging that he had got me at last. I only had 3 pieces,  he had most of his, it was my move.I moved my KING carefully, he closed in for the kill . STALEMATE a daw. I thought it was very funny  so did tony, and the customers. but not JOHN , he was furiose , EUNICE had to take JOHN upstairs he was so angry. that is why I advised her not to go away with him. yours faithfully,MIKE POTER

-mike_f_potter

Quote    Reply   

#4 [url]

Mar 6 11 11:38 AM

IBy the Marine think I know where the bodies are .By the Marine ,where John had worked, †he sawage from Salcombe is discharged , lots of crabs. the remains may be there. I knew John very well, I was present when the local bobbies interviewed the members of staff from the GALLEy and I knew that he was a lot smarter than they were. All that remains wil be thier skeletons/ my e_mail addess is mike _ f_potter@yahoo.co.k
Regards mike potter

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#7 [url]

Aug 4 11 4:30 AM

Dear all, John did a lot of new partitions upstaires at the GALLEY, might on of the stud partitions contain the missing bodies? a bit bazarre, but a possibility. I played chess with him and you learn a lot about peoples personality when you play chess against them. I put him in the 'sneaky school-boy'
category. I was no geniose, but I knew many of the police officers, and he was craftier than them.maybe he is crafties than us all ? Mike potter

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help