Lead

Mar 5 09 8:28 AM

Tags : :

May 2008 - Vikas Yadav and Vishal Yadav were convicted on the charges of murder, abduction and destruction of evidence in the case.

Neelam Katara, mother of Nitish, fought long and hard for justice for six years after the murder of her son.

"I thank god and the media for helping me out in this long battle. This is a landmark judgement and my belief in the judicial system has increased." "Justice has been done. I am happy with the    justice. This verdict will be a milestone."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2002 - February 16 - The case began when Nitish Katara was kidnapped and murdered after he attended a wedding and his badly charred body was found in a village in Bulandhshahr in Uttar 
Pradesh. The perpetrators were found to be Vikas Yadav and his cousin Vishal Yadav.

Nitish Katara (son of a senior Indian Administrative Service (IAS) officer)  was a management student who attended school with, and dated Bharti Yadav, was thought unsuitable by Vikas, Bharti's brother, and Vishal, their cousin. Bharti and Vikas are children of the influential Uttar Pradesh politician DP Yadav.

2006 - Bharti Yadav was forced to return to Delhi as a witness. Her influential family had sent her away to London after the murder.

The case had been fraught with delays (by the defense)